A few weeks ago, I was talking to a friend and she was telling me a story. In the story she mentioned something about lightening bugs. As soon as she mentioned them, she paused and said, "Their one of my simple joys." Something about that phrase really struck me. I said, "I really like that." It started me to think. What are my simple joys? What are the little things in life that make me smile, whether they be, an object, action, or memory? Too often its easy to overlook the little things. I know that I get caught up in the big things and overlook the simple joys that surround me everyday. Somedays I just need a reminder, and somedays I just need something to make me smile. I've decided to start a list. This list is not complete, but just a starting point. Here are just a few of my simple joys:
- family and friends of course!
- laughing
- quotes (the more random the better)
- sunsets
- post-it notes
- my bathrobe
- my iPod
- monkey bread
- new books
- old books
- a big comfy chair to curl up in
- Aunt Maudie's play dough
- garage sales
- fall nights
- L & L Superstore
- flying
- Subway systems
- comfortable shoes
- hugs
- reading greeting cards in the store
- hammocks
- gingerbread cookies
- McDonalds' 7 Rupee ice cream cone
- a big glass of iced sweet tea
- dinner on the ground at church
- the camp
- shopping at outdoor markets in foreign countries
- using maps
- girl scout cookies
- being on the beach
- black and white photography
- the "college kids"
- lamps
- walking barefoot in grass (I got to do this the other day for the first time in forever. It was amazing!)
- dancing
- hearing little kids pray
- emails (especially ones that are not just replys to ones I've sent - but I love those too)
- voicemails
- planning trips
- shopping for others
- t-shirts made from that cerain type of cotton that never wrinkles
- inside jokes
- holidays with family
- Pork Momo's (a type of chinese that is my favorite)
- Christmas lights
- singing around a piano or guitar, or just listening to them
- cold weather
- wearing jackets
- having someone play with my hair
- fireplaces
- porches with a swing
- bookstores
- rainbows
- cinnamon toast in the middle of the night
- logic puzzles
- re-runs of shows from the 90's (Fresh Prince, Saved by the Bell, Boys Meets World)
- Trivia games
- terms of endearment (Sug, Sissy, Honey, Sweetie, etc.)
- card games
- a good Disney movie
- getting the newest Time or Newsweek magazine (My link to the rest of the world)
- flowers
- home-made CD's
- "ILUBB"
- snail mail
- when people comment on my blog
This is just the beginning of my list. If you start thinking about it, there really are simple joys around us or within us everyday. It is just up to us if we stop to see or think about them. So, now its your chance. What are some of your simple joys? This is a great time for you who are reading this to comment. (I want my blog to become a little more interactive). At the end of this post, there will be a word that says comments. Just click on it and you can leave your own comments. Comments are definately one of my simple joys, so please comment :)
4 comments:
YOU are my simple joy!
i miss your face already...
I think my second simple joy might be varnish for the floor...the really slippery kind...=)
much love,
That's funny, we were thinking along the same lines. I am considering using L&L Superstore for my shop!!!!Ha!HA! Hope you have gotten some rest. Talk to you later! Oh, did you come up with any suggestions? Okay, I think that I am probably not using this blog thing correctly. I think I am supposed to just leave comments about your blog. Oh well! I love you!!!
good list roomie.
-the Cowboys
-Justin Timberlake
-air conditioning
-Mountain Dew
-cell phones
-brownies
-Psalms
-running
-free haircuts
Post a Comment