Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Food for Thought

Here's a story for today... (I didn't write it)
The meaning of living in fedelity to the present moment is wonderfully illustrated by a zen story about a monk being pursued by a ferocious tiger. The monk reaced to the edge of a cliff, glanced back, and saw the growling tiger about to spring. The monk spotted a rope dangling over the edge of the cliff. He grabbed it and began shinnying down the side of the cliff out of the clutches of the tiger. Whew! Narrow escape. The monk then looked down and saw a quarry of jagged rocks five hundred feet below. he looked up and saw the tiger poised atop the cliff with bared claws. Just then, two mice began to nibble at the rope. What to do?

The monk saw a strawberry within arm's reach growing out of the face of the cliff. he plucked it, ate it, and exclaimed, "Yum! That's the best strawberry I've ever tasted in my entire life." If He had been preoccupied with the rock below (the future) or the tiger above (the past). He would have missed the strawberry God was giving him in the present moment.

The above story came from this book. It was a good reminder for me today.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

What an amazing reminder to enjoy the strawberries around me. It would be sad to miss them! This is exactly what I needed. Thanks sug!

Anonymous said...

awww...i remember when you let me borrow that book and what's so amazing about grace. those two books were used to shake me up so much! i love your blog but even more i love you and miss you sug!! keep on posting...i'll keep reading (and commenting!) :)
lifting you up,
linds

Lori said...

Thanks! I needed that story today:) Love You!

Lori said...

I love your quote of the week! I think I am going use it in my shop!

Tim said...

great book!